Wednesday 25 January 2012

Strange figures

I'm puzzled. While the projected figures for the Work Programme are being questioned there are contradictory figures being put out for the performance of Flexible New Deal. On the one hand, there's the document put out by the DWP which we mentioned the other day,entitled "Ad hoc analysis of Flexible New Deal costs" dated January 2012. This gives a table of outcome statistics which shows 407,690 starts (excluding re-referrals) and 49,740 sustained jobs of 26-30 weeks, over 16 hours a week. That's 12.2%. Isn't it? But in response to a question from Stephen Timms MP, Chris Grayling provided, on 20 January, a table of results broken down by provider for jobs lasting 3, 6, 9 and 12 months. And the 6 month figures average to 16%. A4e averaged 15% over its 5 contracts. So which one is right?
You might say it doesn't matter much, since even the larger figure is appalling. But then let's look at a piece in the Guardian by Ian Mulheirn, director of the Social Market Foundation. He points out that for the WP the "non-intervention performance", i.e. the figure the DWP estimates will get jobs without any input at all, is 30%. Just think about that. And ask why the WP is being promoted as the solution to everything. Leave people alone and 30% will get work.
I don't normally bother any more with the daft advice given by Hayley Taylor, that most famous of A4e's alumni, but the latest question-and-answer on her site makes me cross. A 59-year-old, very experienced in admin, IT, management and as a JCP advisor has applied for lots of jobs and got some interviews, but hasn't found work. What should she do? Taylor says, " I think to remove any dates that relate to your age being worked out by a prospective employer is something I would reccomend." I know we've argued about this before, but how on earth do you keep dates out of an application form? And how do you construct a CV which gives no clue as to your age? Anyway, says Taylor, you're getting interviews so you must be doing something wrong at the interview. "Work on this area and I feel you will suceed." So it's this poor woman's fault. How helpful. It couldn't just be that they pick somebody younger, could it? I'd like to think that there was better advice being dished out by WP providers, but somehow I doubt it. By the way, there's a film on Vimeo called Hayley's Top 5 CV Tips. I can't bear to watch it.

8 comments:

  1. They have said to me, That it must be your fault you havent got a job, because there are plenty out there. It is never the local labour market, it is never the fact we came out of a recession and we may be going back. Forget there is a stigma as being unemployed. Forget there are degree graduates going for the same jobs you can do, and they cant do the job and leave as soon as they can, but the employers get more graduates and so on. It must be your fault I looked at her confused. Not that they can suggest anything else but to go for volunteer jobs. (this is the same adviser who had my cv for 4 months.. before i had enough and moved to another adviser who told me there was a problem with them opening my cv their program couldnt open a doc file. of course that was my fault as well how i dont know but it was according to them)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im on the work programme. my question can i be forced to work nights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have a good reason for not wanting to work nights e.g. caring responsibilities, probably not.

      Delete
  3. In my jobseekers agreement ive put down days, no were does it say im willing to work nights, ive given an example of the hours im avaiable for work ie 7.30 to 4.30 mon fri.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you won't be applying for jobs which require you to work nights. If your advisor applies on your behalf and you got an interview, would you turn it down? Few people want to work nights, but lots of people have to.

      Delete
  4. I lost my job a year ago, im 44 and have always worked days. my concerns regarding working nights are the ill effects on a persons health,heart problems, digestive problems, lack of sleep, lack of sunlight due to sleeping during the day, if my advisor found me a job working nights would that be against my jobseekers agreement as ive stated and signed the agreement i only wish to work days. Thankyou for your responses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then i don't think you have any cause to worry.

      Delete

Keep it clean, please. No abusive comments will be approved, so don't indulge in insults. If you wish to contact me, post a comment beginning with "not for publication".