- The parent company, the one we all think of as A4e, is A4e Ltd.
- We looked at Action for Employment Trustees Ltd; directors Emma Harrison and Mark Lovell. It's wholly owned by A4e Ltd and its purpose seems to be simply to hold shares in A4e Ltd - 7.1% of the total.
- Then there's A4e Employee Trustee Ltd. This was set up in March 2012 as All Employee Company Ltd, but changed its name in May of this year. Its director is Steve Boyfield, one of A4e Ltd's directors.
- A4e Fundraising Ltd was in existence from 2003 to 2009.
- A4e Consult Ltd was set up in 2006 but has morphed into A4e Management Ltd. Its directors are Andrew Dutton and Mark Lovell. (Emma Harrison ceased to be a director in February this year.) The company's 100 shares are all held by A4e Ltd. Various directories give its purpose as career advice or the like.
- Two other companies were set up in 2011. They are A4e Europe Ltd and A4e Worldwide Ltd. The sole director of both is Andrew Dutton. A4e Europe's one share is held by A4e Worldwide. A4e Worldwide's one share is held by A4e Ltd.
Some of these would appear to fit the definition of shell companies. Perhaps this is normal practice. Perhaps it makes perfect sense to a tax accountant.